The first Shule Bulletin was issued in Feburday 1954. The following are a few excerpts:
"It is gratifying to note that we will soon dedicate our Center. A committee will be named to make arrangements for the affair and it is hoped to have a good representation of our town present to celebrate this occasion."
"Takes great pleasure in formally announcing the following donations to the centerfund from Latrobe friends of our Congregation: Goodwill Bible Class, Methodist Church; George Whalen; Charles Saxen; Henry Mahady; James E. Johnson; S.P. Reed; Michael F. Hughes; Harry J. Whiteman; Mrs. Ellen M. Watt; Frohsinn Sionging Society"
"It's good to note that Jake Rosenblum is up and around again." "Sisterhood Card Party will be held at V.F.W. Hall, Wednesday, February 17th."
DATE: SEPTEMBER 1962 (taken from the Shule Bulletin)
William Dunhoff - President
Hyman Weiss - Vice President
Arthur Goldman - Secretary
Jerome Lowenstein - Treasurer
David Balk, Edward Friedman, Samuel Berkosky, Herman Bigg, Harold Paull, Ab Witkin, Mrs. William Kahanowitz
Sisterhood Board Representative - Mrs. Jerome Lowenstein
Men's Club Representative - Morton Sevel
Mem's Club Officers:
Harold Paull - President
Robert Wallis - Vice President
William Dunhoff - Secretary
Morton Sevel - Treasurer
"Our 1962 membership is now comprised of thirty-six families. Our Jewish population is now 113."
The first recorded Jewish presence in Latrobe was Henry Fellheimer who in 1864 was a substantial citizen being elected as Assistant Burgess. He owned a clothing store at the corner of Depor and Ligonier Streets. The second Jew to settle in lLtrobe was Mr. Simon Schott. Mr. Schott operated a clothing store for a short time in the Miller Hotel Building on Ligonier Street. Most of the Jews arriving in Latrobe settled in the First Ward area of Latrobe in a section that became known as "Jew Town". In 1907, on land donated by Harry Tapolsky, the first synagogue was built on Miller Street. This Synagogue remained active until a new building was erected at the present location on Weldon Street in 1954.
For additional information about the Jewish population of the Latrobe and Greensburg areas, two books were published :
Westmoreland County Jewish Oral Histories, Volume 1 and Volume 2 by The Center for Northern Appalachian Studies/Oral History Program, Saint Vincent College, Latrobe PA 15650
Received the following E-mail October 29, 2008:
Fanny Grabenheim, born 26 May 1804 in Aldingen, Germany, immigrated in 1840, with her children, and her brothers:
Prof. Dr. Stefan Rohrbacher
Tel.: 0211 / 654 9739
Fax: 0211 / 654 9713